Re: ispell misalignment

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: ispell misalignment
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2001 13:37:01 +0300 (IDT)

On Wed, 13 Jun 2001, Alberto Imparato wrote:

> I receive a ispell misalignment error from emacs.
> In the etc/PROBLEMS file there's written:
> "* When you run Ispell from Emacs, it reports a "misalignment" error.
>
> This can happen if you compiled Ispell to use ASCII characters only
> and then try to use it from Emacs with non-ASCII characters,
> specifically Latin-1.  The solution is to recompile Ispell with
> Latin-1 support"
> but I don't know how to recompile isplell.el with
> this support.

This is a misunderstanding: what should be recompiled is the Ispell
program, not ispell.el.  (I will make the wording in PROBLEMS more clear
for the next release.)

But before you go fetch Ispell sources and try to figure out how to
recompile it, I suggest to type "ispell -vv" from your shell's prompt,
and see what it says under "NO8BIT".  If it says "!NO8BIT (8BIT)", then
your Ispell program is already 8-bit clean, and the problem is elsewhere.