Re: Opposite of move-to-window-line?

From: Kalle Olavi Niemitalo
Subject: Re: Opposite of move-to-window-line?
Date: 18 Jul 2001 18:00:47 +0300

"Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>" <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu>
writes:

> You want `compute-motion'.  It's a good bit more complex to use, too.
> I'd recommend you grep for it in Emacs' lisp files to find examples of
> usage (I think windmove.el has a good example, IIRC).

I didn't find that file in Emacs 20.7, but avoid.el had what I needed.
There's a strange comment, though:

      (cons (window-hscroll w) 0)          ; 0 may not be right?

This 0 is for the TAB-OFFSET parameter.  The other compute-motion
calls in Emacs files don't pass nonzero values there either.  What
does this parameter really affect, and how does one know the right
value?