Re: How to make cygwin/bash shell work in emacs

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: How to make cygwin/bash shell work in emacs
Date: Sat, 29 Sep 2001 20:22:03 +0200

On Fri, 28 Sep 2001 16:30:22 -0700, Roman Adar <radar@cacheware.com> wrote:

> I'm using emacs 20.7.1 on Win2K. I've also installed the Cygwin package.
>
> Since I'm used to run the shell from emacs directly I've tried to
> install and configure, using the Web isntructions how to work with the
> "bash" shell within emacs.
>
> While I'm able todo some basic stuff, I'm having problems, when each
> command executed in the emacs/bash shell echoes two lines of ASCII
> characters. Also I was not able to run Perl from within.

The only problem I'm aware of is that ^C does not work (because the
Emacs pipe is not TTY as Cygwin excepts it). If you're problems are
different please post examples and also your shell startup files (i.e.
your ~/.bashrc or ~/.[t]csh + ~./login).

I assume you've read the Cygwin FAQ entry: How do I run bash as a shell
under NT Emacs? (http://cygwin.com/faq/faq_toc.html#TOC60).

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni     Mivtach - Simon  Insurance   /"\
 Tel: +972-3-7966-561 Fax: +972-3-7966-667   \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign