RE: finer diff

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: finer diff
Date: Thu, 18 Oct 2001 12:30:45 -0500

Have you considered Tools - Compare - Regions Word-by-Word?
I think that it will do what you are looking for, but it takes some
setup.  Since a buffer can have only one primary region. The text must
be copied to a temporary buffer in order to set up the regions and do
the compare.
If you want to do it without moving text I don't know of a way.  You
might consider creating your own compare function that would compare the
primary region and the secondary region of a single buffer.  It probably
would not be hard to do if you based your function/s on the
ediff-regions-wordwise function and perhaps the ediff-regions-internal
function (both found in ediff.el).  I looked at these briefly and it
looks like it might be doable, but would probably require that there be
two windows open one containing each region.

Good luck,
J_)
C_)ingham
.    COMPAQ NonStop Integrity Systems
.    Austin, TX
. Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire. -Dr. George W. Crane