Re: newbie question

From: Daniel Wetterbro
Subject: Re: newbie question
Date: Wed, 24 Oct 2001 19:40:37 +0200

Emacs contains an embedded documentationsystem (reached through C-h).
I suggest you start by reading the tutorial by doing "C-h t". This
means you shall hold down the control key and press h, release both
keys and type t. Here's some commands to get you going:

Open file: C-x C-f file_name <ret> Open empty buffer: C-x b buffer_name <ret>
Save buffer to file:                                      C-x C-s
Save buffer to another file ("save as"):         C-x C-w
Switch to buffer: C-x b buffer_name <ret>
Show all open buffers:                               C-x C-b
Kill buffer:                                                 C-x k

Switch to next window:                              C-x o
Close all windows except the "active":        C-x 1

If you don't like that Emacs, as default,
makes a line longer than the window width
continue on the next physical row, type:      M-x hscroll-mode <ret>
And for all open buffers: M-x hscroll-global-mode <ret>

Remember that you can often use tab to show all available options when
you're in the mini-buffer (for explanation of "mini-buffer", see the
tutorial).

You might not like the way to move the cursor, which is described in
the tutorial, especially if you're used to Microsoft Windows
programs. Below is an example of what you can put in a ".emacs" file
if you want to use the "MS Windows way" instead. When running Unix you
shall put your .emacs file in your home directory.  But in Microsoft
Windows I'm not sure. Maybe it shall be placed in:
installation_dir_of_emacs\bin

The key combinations that require the control-key to be pressed first
doesn't work for me in Gnome or under an ordinary shell in Linux (in
KDE it works though). I've realized that the environment doesn't
recognize those key combinations and therefor doesn't give Emacs the
right information. Can anyone help me with this problem?  My
assumptions is based on the results from the view-lossage
function. It's called by typeing M-x view-lossage in Emacs and shows
what keys has recently been pressed.

.emacs:

(global-set-key [delete] 'delete-char)
(global-set-key [kp-delete] 'delete-char)
(global-set-key [\C-delete] 'kill-word)
(global-set-key [\C-backspace] 'backward-kill-word)
(global-set-key [home] 'beginning-of-line)
(global-set-key [end] 'end-of-line)
(global-set-key [\C-home] 'beginning-of-buffer)
(global-set-key [\C-end] 'end-of-buffer)

;; If you want to have hscroll mode as default:
(hscroll-global-mode 1)

Best Regards,

Daniel Wetterbro

Online-CSG wrote:

sorry for being off-topic but i haven't been able to find anywhere for what
i need - can anybody tell me where to go to get help on learning emacs? a
mailing list like this or a newsgroup?

thanks
adam