Re: Please help: Cut & Paste between Emacs & other apps

From: Jim McCloskey
Subject: Re: Please help: Cut & Paste between Emacs & other apps
Date: Fri, 09 Nov 2001 14:59:29 -0800

|> For example: I am reading my mail in emacs, and I want to paste a URL
|> into Netscape.  I do the normal 'M-w' on the region containing the
|> URL, go to netscape, and do "paste" and some source code from who
|> knows where gets pasted in there!

This isn't a solution for your general problem, but for the particular
task you describe there is another approach. If you include these
lines, or something like them, in your init file:

(require 'browse-url)
(setq browse-url-netscape-program "netscape")
(global-set-key [S-mouse-2] 'browse-url-at-mouse)

then clicking the middle mouse button on a URL (in a mail message for
instance) will start netscape and cause it to go to the URL in
question. If you already have a Netscape session running, it will use
the running Netscape.

I don't have the problems here with cut'n paste that you report. Using
the left mouse-button to copy and the middle mouse-button to paste
works fine for me between emacs and terminal windows and between emacs
and browsers.

Jim