Re: Tramp in Emacs 21?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Tramp in Emacs 21?
Date: Wed, 14 Nov 2001 14:58:22 +0200 (IST)

> From: Tom Roche <Tom_Roche@ncsu.edu>
> Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2001 13:39:23 -0500
>
> But also, I believe the emacs communities will benefit
> by having better support for remote resources. I would like to see
> emacs become "the multiplatform editor" not only because it runs on so
> many platforms (which it does now--FWIW IIRC the mac-emacs folks had
> 21 binaries up before the win32 folks), but by becoming able to
> function (though presumably not _perform_) equally well with both
> local and remote filesystems. It annoys me, e.g., that emacs assumes
> that I can't symlink files when I'm running on win32, since I can
> either via tramp or AFS.

Would you care to step forward and volunteer to work on this?  The
NTEmacs maintenance team is extremely small, and has trouble even
catching up with the mainline code development, let alone Windows
specific features.

Oh, and as for the fact that the Mac port was available before the
Windows one: it's simply because of administrative problems that
prevented the person who compiled the Windows binaries from having
write access to the appropriate directory.  There's no real problem
here, and nothing to talk about.