Re: Grey on Grey is hard to read

From: Kevin Dziulko
Subject: Re: Grey on Grey is hard to read
Date: Thu, 06 Dec 2001 08:35:09 -0500

1. You can use either Edit->Text Properties->Display Colors, or type "M-x list-colors-display" to invoke function from the mini-buffer. 2. I use the following in my .emacs file to set the colors for the different syntax types:

(cond ((fboundp 'global-font-lock-mode)
      ;; Customize face attributes
      (setq font-lock-face-attributes
            ;; Symbol-for-Face Foreground Background Bold Italic Underline
            '((font-lock-comment-face       "Magenta")
              (font-lock-string-face        "Blue")
              (font-lock-keyword-face       "Red")
              (font-lock-function-name-face "Blue")
              (font-lock-variable-name-face "Black")
              (font-lock-type-face          "Black")
              (font-lock-reference-face     "Purple")
              ))
      ;; Load the font-lock package.
      (require 'font-lock)
      ;; Maximum colors
      (setq font-lock-maximum-decoration t)
      ;; Turn on font-lock in all modes that support it
      (global-font-lock-mode t)))
3. see the quote from http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/windows/faq4.html for info about foreground and background colors:

You can use elisp functions to change the colors of any of the Emacs faces. For example, to change the foreground or background color of Emacs, you can use the set-foreground-color and set-background-color functions. To change the color of an arbitrary face, use the set-face-foreground and set-face-background functions. To change the color of the cursor, use the set-cursor-color function.
This elisp changes the background color to black:

(set-background-color "black")
The following elisp changes the mode line foreground to firebrick:

(set-face-foreground 'modeline "firebrick")
The following elisp changes the cursor color to purple:

(set-cursor-color "purple")

Hope this helps.
Kevin