Re: Keys in Emacs and Window Managers

From: sen_ml
Subject: Re: Keys in Emacs and Window Managers
Date: Sat, 08 Dec 2001 12:49:10 +0900 (JST)

Hello,

> ,----
> |  * Please do not define `C-c LETTER' as a key in your major modes.
> |    These sequences are reserved for users; they are the *only*
> |    sequences reserved for users, so do not block them.
> `----
>
> So it should be safe to use these keys for your window manager.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I'll try this line of thought out to see
how it goes.  [ I'm slightly wary of this though as some minor modes I
use employ C-c non-letter, and I occasionally mistype key sequences. ]

> FWIW, the window manager ratpoison uses `C-t' as prefix for all
> commands.

Yes, I'm occasionally a ratpoison user myself ;-)  I wasn't sure
whether C-t was safe in an Emacs-sense though.

Now, if I can get window manager authors to change their
defaults...not likely :-(