Problem with changing default-face font

From: Kalyan K. Mukherjea
Subject: Problem with changing default-face font
Date: Wed, 12 Dec 2001 11:47:59 +0530 (IST)

Hi everybody,
        I am using Emacs-21.1 on  a Red Hat 7.2 system.
In my .emacs file I have set the custom-file to ~/emacs.el and the first
line of .emacs reads
(load-file  ~/emacs.el)

I just now tried changing the default face to be
New Century Schoolbook at 14 pt; (see what customize wrote in the attached
emacs.el ).

Now if I start emacs I get the error message which is attachment 2
(emacs.err) and the rest of my .emacs file is *not* read.

        I had the impression that 21.1 can handle variable width fonts. So
why does this problem occur and what does the error
message mean?

Thanks.

Kalyan