Questions about remote editing via emacs

From: Steven G . Harms
Subject: Questions about remote editing via emacs
Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2002 11:03:41 -0800

Hi, I have questions about editing files on remote systems while
staying within the currently-open emacs session (i.e. moving closer to
an emacs desktop).

Frequently I have to ssh to a server and muck around with files.  In
this situation EFS works fine and I am able to edit the files - no
problem.

However, occasionally these files are protected by the following
means:
        -  The need to access them as root via  sudo
        -  The need to have CVS commands (RCS,etc) entered as a prefix.
           Before the edit
        -  OR they are run with a wrapper on them.

A typical example  would be:

        sudo /foo/bin/editimportantfile.pl

So, if i use 'ssh' from within emacs to go to the server where this
script lives and execute the program, it pulls from $EDITOR and tries
to put me in another emacs session there.

So would it be possible to tell it to "open a session back on the
already open session on my other machine?"

Likewise, if I use "shell" and then login to the other box I find
myself similarly stymied.

Is there any way around this?

Thanks,

Steven

--
Steven G. Harms [my opinions are my own, not my employer's]

Some mail readers may interpret this message as having an 'attachment'
this is actually my cryptographic signature.  Protect your privacy by
using cryptography.  You can get my public encryption key at:

http://pgp.dtype.org:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xE84048BF