Re: [h-e-w] Shortcuts?

From: Chuck Siska
Subject: Re: [h-e-w] Shortcuts?
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 11:51:23 -0800

chris --

oops, the last email's embedded binary characters didn't make it
to my inbox, so they probably didn't make it to yours.  foolish
me.  in the function cs-find-filename-in-shortcut, the garbaged
"let" section should look like this:

    (save-excursion
      (let ((snip1 "^S^B")
            (snip1 "^G^P^@^@^@^@")
            (snip1 "^@")
            (target-filename nil)

the patch to fix the attached file is as follows:

1. massage the "let" into the following form, which includes
   empty strings which we will fill in a moment.

    (save-excursion
      (let ((snip1 "")
            (snip1 "")
            (snip1 "")
            (target-filename nil)

2. the string following snip1 should contain two characters, a ^S
   and a ^B.  insert these by typing C-q C-S C-q C-B.  the result
   string should look like this: "^S^B".

3. the string following snip2 should contain 6 characters, a ^G,
   a ^P, and four ^@-s.  insert these by typiing C-q C-G C-q C-P
   C-q C-@ C-q C-@ C-q C-@ C-q C-@. the result string should look
   like this: "^G^P^@^@^@^@".

4. the string following snip3 should contain 1 character, a ^@.
   insert this by typing C-q C-@.  the result string should look
   like this: "^@".

now the "let" should look like the section shown above with
filled-in strings.  note that we filled them with binary
(control) characters rather than the two-character
caret-sequences i've used here.  good luck.

-- chuck

Chuck Siska wrote:

> chris --
>
> try this attached .el file.  it lets you follow a M$ shortcut
> from dired to the target file or directory.  it works on
> M$Wind98. if M$ hasn't been too squirrely, it will work for you.
> it binds 'F' (as opposed to the normal 'f') to do this.
> cheers.

-- chuck
What is life without looking for           . . `; -._      )-;-,_`)
the next cute little bug to play with?     v_,-    _  ),(,.\  ``-'
-- chuck.siska@conexant.com  `<}:..     ((,.-'   ((,/