Re: automatic indentation in C,C++ modes

From: G Anna
Subject: Re: automatic indentation in C,C++ modes
Date: 23 Apr 2002 07:31:11 +0530

> Date: Fri, 19 Apr 2002 12:30:46 -0500
> From: Tony Harbin <tharbin@hiwaay.net>
> Subj: Re: automatic indentation in C,C++ modes

[snip]

> self-insert-command functions.  I have a particular indentation
> style that is common where I work and I *hate* some software trying
> to enforce it's own style.

My understanding is that GNU Emacs doesn't do anything unless its
asked to do so.  Below, I am quoting an extract from the Emacs info
documentation.  Is this of any help?

<info>
Electric C Characters

   In C mode and related modes, certain printing characters are
"electric"--in addition to inserting themselves, they also reindent
the current line and may insert newlines.  This feature is controlled
by the variable `c-auto-newline'.  The "electric" characters are `{',
`}', `:', `#', `;', `,', `<', `>', `/', `*', `(', and `)'.

   Electric characters insert newlines only when the "auto-newline"
feature is enabled (indicated by `/a' in the mode line after the mode
name).  This feature is controlled by the variable `c-auto-newline'.
You can turn this feature on or off with the command `C-c C-a':

`C-c C-a'
     Toggle the auto-newline feature (`c-toggle-auto-state').  With a
     prefix argument, this command turns the auto-newline feature on if
     the argument is positive, and off if it is negative.
</info>

HTH

anna