Re: shell command output question

From: Noel Yap
Subject: Re: shell command output question
Date: Fri, 26 Apr 2002 12:26:36 -0700 (PDT)

--- G Anna <drguruolai@eth.net> wrote:

> > Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 11:50:27 -0500
> > From: "Bingham, Jay" <Jay.Bingham@compaq.com>
> > Subj: RE: shell command output question
>
> (snip)
>
> > From what you are trying to do I assume that "your
> command" will be
> > something like "echo $PATH".  You can access
> environment variables
> > with the command getenv
>
> That is exactly the kind of question one should ask.
>  What are you
> trying to achieve? (This question is to the OP.)
> Instead of asking
> something related to what you want, just ask what
> you want.  You would
> probably get a more elegant solution.

OK.  Here it is.

I am running Cygwin on NT and I want to be able to use
the same .emacs on NT as on Unix.  Since emacs on NT
doesn't grok Cygwin paths, I need to convert the paths
passed into load-path into native paths.  So, I've
created a script on both Unix and NT that'll take a
path and convert it into a native path (on Unix, this
is just an echo; on NT it's just a cygpath -w).
Ideally, I would have an emacs on NT that groks Cygwin
but I don't think that'll happen any time soon (last I
tried, emacs didn't build under Cygwin -- maybe it's
time to try again).

If anyone can suggest a better way to do this, I would
very much appreciate it.

Thanks,
Noel