RE-Builder and grep

From: Ian Swainson
Subject: RE-Builder and grep
Date: Wed, 01 May 2002 12:54:46 +0100

Hi,

I'm trying to learn regular expressions, and have been using the re-builder mode
in Emacs.

I have a text file (greptest.txt) containing the following lines:

THIS IS A TEST
this is a test
this is another test
This is a test
This is A test
this is a Test

If I do grep -e "[A-Z]" greptest.txt

The following lines are returned, as expected:

THIS IS A TEST
This is a test
This is A test
this is a Test

But if I use emacs re-builder pasting the text into a buffer, *all* lines are
highlighted, even those that don't contain any uppercade characters.  How can I
make re-builder's regular expressions work like greps, and can anyone tell me
why there is the difference?

Cheers,
Ian

--
fortune says:

Documentation is like sex: when it is good, it is very, very good; and
when it is bad, it is better than nothing.
                -- Dick Brandon

~~~~~~~~~~~ Made in Ireland using GNU Emacs ~~~~~~~~~~~
Ian Swainson           Kia Ora!         ian@qui-oui.com