Nuking the fringes

From: bji-emacs
Subject: Nuking the fringes
Date: Fri, 07 Jun 2002 22:03:10 GMT

Hi all. As some others on this list have stated, the new "fringes" feature of emacs 21.2 is quite annoying to those of us who don't want/need them, and what is especially annoying is that they cannot be turned off.

I have downloaded the code and am trying to figure out how to add an option to turn them off. But I am having a hard time with it. I think that the simplest thing to do would be to produce an option which makes the code relevent to fringes behave the same way as it does in non-windowed (i.e. emacs -nw), but it's been quite difficult for me to make this happen. So far I can tell that there is a global variable, inhibit_window_system, which is set in emacs.c, and that from there, the appropriate code paths are taken to not use the fringes. Eventually, the window_system global looks like it stays set to Qnil when inhibit_window_system is true, and from here, lots of other code which keys off of the window_system causes the fringes to not appear. Also I think that the adjust_frame_glyphs() and adjust_frame_glyphs_initially() functions may have something to do with it ... The crazy thing is that the word "fringe" appears very sparingly in the code. It seems like the behavior of the fringes is distributed amongst many pieces of the code, none of which are obviously creating the fringes, and this makes it very hard to track down the code which is related to fringes. Right now I have the general feeling the the "glyph matrix" implicitly defines the fringes, but I don't understant the glyph matrix well enough to figure out how this is happening. Does anyone out there have any advice for me on this?
Thanks, and best wishes,
Bryan
Bryan Ischo             bryan@ischo.com                   1992 Mazda 929
Cupertino, CA, USA      http://www.ischo.com            RedHat Linux 7.1