Disabling color in gnu emacs

From: Gregory Geller
Subject: Disabling color in gnu emacs
Date: Thu, 20 Jun 2002 17:09:21 -0400 (EDT)

Hello,

I apologize for cluttering this mailing list with something this trivial.

I am a vi user (I'm not going to apologize for that).  My boss is an emacs
user.  I've recently upgraded his machine from RedHat 7.1 to 7.3 and the
new version of Gnu Emacs uses all sorts of colors that my boss hates.

How do you turn off colors???

I have actually managed to do it for a single gnu emacs session by simply
unchecking Syntax Highlighting in the Options menu.  However, when I save
the options ( again, in the Options menu ), it apparently doesn't work
because those nasty colors show up again when I restart emacs.

I'm sure I can edit the .emacs file by hand but for the life of me I can't
figure out how to do it.  Will someone please help this emacs newbie?

Gregory Geller                      *  Office:   (912) 921-2064
Technical Director                  *  Messages: (912) 927-5317
School of Computing                 *  Fax:      (912) 921-5606
Armstrong Atlantic State University *  Email:    gregg@armstrong.edu