Emacs 20 Antinews - unclear entry

From: Paul Stoeber
Subject: Emacs 20 Antinews - unclear entry
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2002 01:49:53 +0000

One entry of Emacs 20 Antinews (distributed with Emacs 21):

        - The variable `show-trailing-whitespace' has no special
          meaning, so trailing whitespace on a line is now always
          displayed correctly: as empty space.  To see if a line ends
          with spaces or tabs, type `C-e' on that line.  Likewise,
          empty lines at the end of the buffer are not marked in any
          way; use `M->' to see where the end of the buffer is.

I don't grasp the sentence with "`M->'".  When I go to
`*scratch*', set `show-trailing-whitespace' to `t', and
add some empty lines at the bottom of the buffer, I still
have to type `M->' too see the end of buffer.  Perhaps my
terminal can't show the face used to highlight the trailing
empty lines.  The docstring of `show-trailing-whitespace'
mentions only one face, `trailing-whitespace', which my
terminal _does_ display.  What am I missing?