Re: emacs-21.2 cursor-color (color-theme?) problem

From: Eddie Bush
Subject: Re: emacs-21.2 cursor-color (color-theme?) problem
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2002 16:11:41 -0500

If you're running KDE as your desktop environment, you need to read the problems file by clicking on Help -> Emacs Known Problems (C-h p). KDE is giving you severe pain ... that was my problem anyway. Just search for "face" in the problem file - you'll see it.

HTH,

Eddie

Ron Denis wrote:
I am running MS Windows XP, emacs-21.2 (fullbin downloaded from
ftp://ftp.gnu.org/gnu/windows/emacs/latest), color-theme 6.4.4, and I
am having a problem with the cursor color.  By cursor I mean point,
not the mouse pointer.

I have narrowed my .emacs to the following:
;;;;;; start
(require 'color-theme)
(color-theme-billw)
;;;;;; end

If I place my cursor on a blank space, then it disappears.  If I place
it on a character then the cursor is white.
The billw color theme has a black background.  If I switch to
(color-theme-jonadabian) which has a bluish background, and then place
the cursor on a blank space I see a black cursor (which I think
explains why it disappears with billw).

Also, this behavior goes away if I run M-x color-theme-billw after
the .emacs file is loaded.  I can also run M-x set-cursor-color RET
white or change the font.  All of these actions will restore the
cursor.
If I try to run (color-theme-billw) in the .emacs file twice in a row,
I still get the strange cursor.

Any suggestions?