Emacs 21.2: How to get extra bright tty colors for faces

From: Daniel Shane
Subject: Emacs 21.2: How to get extra bright tty colors for faces
Date: Mon, 15 Jul 2002 11:38:04 -0400

 Hi,

I am using emacs 21.2 on RedHat 7.3 (i386) and I am a bit puzzled over
the fontification of the buffer name zone in the modeline on the bottom
(where you can see the text *scratch* on initial startup).

Here is what happens. I am trying to have very bright colors in Emacs,
however, the closest I have been able to get is to set a light color to bold.
This give a "good" result, however it could be even better.

I know that it is possible to get "extra" bright colors however there are no
"make-face..." nor are there any color that are "extra" bright. This is
probably cause by the fact that the extra brightness is an attribute, like
bold.

Never the less, when I start emacs and change the default face to red, I
can clearly see that the buffer name zone in the modeline is in "extra"
bright red and is not bold. Hurray... however I have been unable to find the
function that will allow me to set this kind of brightness on perticular faces.

By looking in the site-lisp/term I see that there is a msdos definition for
terminal colors that include "extra" bright colors, but I do not know how to
use them in a face definition.

I also see in tty-colors that the base listing contains only 8 terminal colors
and that every colors gets rounded down to these 8. Could it be possible
that this is why I cannot get tty colors greater than 16 even if they are
describes in the term directory?

Thanks in advance for your help!
Daniel Shane
---