Re: How i can backup files in one particular directory?

From: Luis O. Silva
Subject: Re: How i can backup files in one particular directory?
Date: Tue, 16 Jul 2002 13:51:03 +0400

Hi, Shailesh

On Mon, 15 Jul 2002 21:17:23 -0700 (PDT), Shailesh Joshi writes:

   Shailesh> ... How i can store backup files (which are
   Shailesh> created by emacs) in one particular directory?
   Shailesh> If possible please send me .emacs code too.

Dealing with emacs backup files is explained in the subsection
*Backup* within the *Saving files* section of the Emacs
Manual. Here is a quotation:

   "you can customize the variable `backup-directory-alist' to
   specify that files matching certain patterns should be
   backed up in specific directories".

     "A typical use is to add an element `("." . DIR)' to make
   all backups in the directory with absolute name DIR; Emacs
   modifies the backup file names to avoid clashes between
   files with the same names originating in different
   directories.  Alternatively, adding, say, `("." . ".~")'
   would make backups in the invisible subdirectory `.~' of
   the original file's directory.  Emacs creates the
   directory, if necessary, to make the backup."

The following is a snippet of my .emacs. You must read the
*Backup* subsection in order to adapt it for you.

;; ------------------ Setting the handling of backups -------------------
(setq backup-directory-alist
      '((".+\\.tex$" . "~/backup/tex")
        ("/[^\\./]+\\..+$" . "~/backup/code")