Re: Help-gnu-emacs digest, Vol 1 #712 - 6 msgs

From: Joseph W. Jackson
Subject: Re: Help-gnu-emacs digest, Vol 1 #712 - 6 msgs
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 07:59:50 -0600

At 09:33 PM 8/6/2002 -0400, you wrote:
 I recently upgraded to Emacs 21.2.1 and now find that several of my frame
> customizations don't work.  In particular, the frame-parameters "top" and
> "left" get ignored.
>
> For example:
> In version 20.7 I used the following command to create a second frame
> positioned all the way to the right of my screen:
>         (make-frame '((height . 70) (width .  93) (top . 0) (left .  581)))
>
> under emacs 21.2.1 the command above produces a frame of height=70 and
> width=93 but the windoe is positioned at top=0 and left=0.  I get an
> identical result when I try to set "top" or "left" values for the variables
> "special-display-frame-alist" and "default-frame-alist"
>
> Can someone tell me what has changed and how to work around the problem?
>
> I am operating under Redhat Linux 7.3 and I'm using either the Gnome
> interface or a WRQ Reflection Suite for X connection.

NTEmacs FAQ says that:
Emacs uses two alists to determine the default appearances of frames, default- frame-alist and initial-frame-alist. The default-frame- alist variable sets the basic defaults of all frames. Since it is a common Emacs usage to have the initial frame have slightly different properties than other frames (e.g., its position), you can use the initial-frame-alist variable to override properties in default-frame-alist specially for the initial frame.
(setq default-frame-alist
      '((top . 200) (left . 400)
        (width . 80) (height . 40)
        (cursor-color . "white")
        (cursor-type . box)
        (foreground-color . "yellow")
        (background-color . "black")
        (font . "-*-Courier-normal-r-*-*-13-*-*-*-c-*-iso8859-1")))

What you said is true, but doesn't apply here. I'm not talking about the initial frame, I'm having problems getting the 2'nd (and subsequent) frames to position themselves. I'm also talking about a situation where I create the frame with explicit parameter settings. If the initial-frame-alist is overriding my explicit values then that would be the error.

I've reviewed the FAQ. I've downloaded and searched the archives for both this help group and the bug reports. I haven't found anything that discusses this problem.

"No Single Raindrop Believes It Is Responsible For The Flood"  - Despair.com