Help: Large File Support (> 1GB) / Solaris 8

From: Luke Hassell
Subject: Help: Large File Support (> 1GB) / Solaris 8
Date: Fri, 16 Aug 2002 12:10:58 -0700 (PDT)

Hello Emacs Users - I have a need to read in large files and need
some advice.  First, from the FAQ:

  Old versions (i.e., anything before 19.29) of Emacs had problems
  editing files larger than 8 megabytes. As of version 19.29, the
  maximum buffer size is at least 2^27-1, or 134,217,727 bytes, or 132
  MBytes. Emacs 20 can be compiled on some 64-bit systems in a way
  that enlarges the buffer size up to 576,460,752,303,423,487 bytes,
  or 549,755,813 GBytes.

It's the phrase "in a way" that has got me puzzled.  My compile
platform is a Solaris 8 sparc box, with the Sun WSPro
compilers.  I have followed the guidance in etc/MACHINES:

  To build a 64-bit Emacs (with larger maximum buffer size and
  including large file support) on a Solaris system which supports
  64-bit executables, use the Sun compiler, configuring something like
  this (see the cc documentation for information on 64-bit
  compilation):  env CC="cc -xarch=v9" ./configure

Yet I still cannot break a barrier of 256MB, even though I have
a very cleanly compiled version of emacs 21.2, that are 64bit
executables:

$ file emacs*
emacs:          ELF 64-bit MSB executable SPARCV9 Version 1
emacs-21.2:     ELF 64-bit MSB executable SPARCV9 Version 1
emacsclient:    ELF 64-bit MSB executable SPARCV9 Version 1

549,755,813 GBytes?  I'd be happy with 1 GB at this point.  Any
help is appreciated.  Thanks in advance,

Luke

=====
Luke Hassell                                Public Key available at:
http://www.keyserver.net:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0x8C85ABD7