Re: cvs-status, cvs-examine: what's the difference?

From: Sriram Karra
Subject: Re: cvs-status, cvs-examine: what's the difference?
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 13:57:59 +0530

Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE (Kai writes:

> "Stefan Monnier <foo@acm.com>"
> <monnier+gnu.emacs.help/news/@flint.cs.yale.edu> writes:
>
>> `cvs status' should show more: it shows more files (i.e. it includes
>> the up-to-date files) and shows the current revision number of all
>> the files.
>
> Ah, so cvs-examine shows the unknown and the not-up-to-date files,
> whereas cvs-status also shows up-to-date files, but not unknown
> files.
>
> Hm.  Now the only question is how to make use of it :-)

In situations like this you can try the following: Keep point in
buffer of interest and type the two key combos (M-e and M-s, I
believe, in said case) in quick succession.  If you keep doing this,
you are sure to notice many differences in the behaviour of the two
and the chances are quite high that you will end up liking one more
than the other.

For e.g. you might notice M-s is faster than M-e (or vice versa) or
you might notice that one of them produces far lesser output than the
other etc... I am sure you get the idea :)

--
All's well that ends.