Re: What do I need please?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: What do I need please?
Date: Mon, 02 Sep 2002 16:29:16 +0200

Two Ravens <two.ravens@btinternet.com> writes:

> In order to fully exploit the capabilities of Emacs, I take I will need
> Sendmail, fetchmail, and what else I do not know. Could some please let
> me have a list of what I need to have running to fully use Emacs?

A common situation is that you receive your email via POP or IMAP and
you send it via SMTP.  For these situations, Emacs has built-in Lisp
support, so that you don't need external programs.

For sending mail via SMTP, see the file smtpmail.el which comes with
Emacs.  It has setup instructions near the beginning.  They are short
but clear enough, I think.

For reading mail from a POP server, see the node "Mail Source
Specifiers" in the Gnus info file.

For IMAP, you also get some information there, but that means you
move the mail from the IMAP server to your local disk.  If you want
Gnus to be a full-blown IMAP client, look at the node called "IMAP".

kai