Re: Lisp functions called on Emacs close

From: Ehud Karni
Subject: Re: Lisp functions called on Emacs close
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2002 00:03:21 +0300

On Sun, 01 Sep 2002 20:40:52 +0200, Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE wrote:

> "Joseph Fannin" <jhf@rivenstone.net writes:
>
> >     Can anyone point me to which lisp functions are called when emacs is
> > closed?  Specifically, I'd like to know which functions are called when
> > the window manager's close button is pressed.
>
> Whee.  Not sure.  There is kill-emacs-hook and there is
> kill-emacs-query-functions.  I don't know whether they are executed
> in that case, though.

The hook `kill-emacs-query-functions' is surely called when using any
way to kill emacs willingly (C-x C-c, M-x save-buffers-kill-emacs,
close by the window manager), but not by M-x kill-emacs.

I have this function to warn me, and it saved me several times.

(defun kill-warn ()
  (interactive)
       (or (boundp 'NO-kill-warn)  ;; define this to disable warning
           (yes-or-no-p "Stop editing and kill all buffers ?")))

(add-hook 'kill-emacs-query-functions 'kill-warn)

Ehud.

--
 Ehud Karni           Tel: +972-3-7966-561  /"\
 Mivtach - Simon      Fax: +972-3-7966-667  \ /  ASCII Ribbon Campaign