Re: Major usability issue

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Major usability issue
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 12:22:54 +0200

Bruce Korb <bkorb@pacbell.net> writes:

> For years I have captured the output of a shell command and inserted
> it into my document.  The latest distributions of Linux now carry a
> version of emacs that makes doing that non-obvious.  I'm sure it is
> doable, but it is really important to just be able to ALT-| then
> type a command and be able to use a mouse click to capture the text.
> I haven't read emacs lisp macros yet in order to reverse-engineer
> what has been done; but I shouldn't have to either.  :-(

Well, what is the obvious thing that you do and what happens when you
do it?  From your description it's not clear to me what you're doing.

Maybe you just need to switch to the *Shell Command Output* buffer
and copy the text from there?  This buffer is not shown by default,
when the output of the shell command is short.

See the document on shell-command-on-region to see how to change it:

/----
| If the command generates output, the output may be displayed
| in the echo area or in a buffer.
| If the output is short enough to display in the echo area
| (determined by the variable `max-mini-window-height' if
| `resize-mini-windows' is non-nil), it is shown there.  Otherwise
| it is displayed in the buffer `*Shell Command Output*'.  The output
| is available in that buffer in both cases.
\----

Does this help?

kai