Re: pbm trying to patch 21.1 into 21.2

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: pbm trying to patch 21.1 into 21.2
Date: Tue, 03 Sep 2002 23:52:58 +0200

dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:

> sh /david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1-21.2.diff
>   Looks like a new-style context diff.
> File to patch:
> ^C
>
> --- THAT (above) *IS* the problem:
> the "Looks like ...",
> then it's asking me "file to patch" -- just what
> am I supposed to type in for that?

If you look closely at the diff, you'll see that it contains
filenames.  Usually the problem is that you are in the wrong
directories for these filenames: the filename in the diff might be
a/b/c but you're inside the a directory so that b/c is the right
filename.  If you can't change directories to make it work, you can
try to pass the "-p" argument to diff which strips off leading slashes
from filenames.  (I never really understood how it worked, though.  I
usually start with -p0 and then try alternatives -p1, -p2, ... until I
find one that works.)

Instead of doing sh on the file, you could also do patch on the file:

    patch < /david3/from_netcom-dir1/emacs-stuff/emacs-21.1-21.2.diff

kai