Re: formatting lines of text within a rect

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: formatting lines of text within a rect
Date: Wed, 04 Sep 2002 03:16:45 GMT

Kai Großjohann wrote:

> Pete Lee <spam@spam.com> writes:
>
>> My point was, if I'm in cua mode then I can C-x and C-c, so why can't I C-w
>> and M-w when in emacs mode.
>
> Well, why does key foo not have the bar behavior?  That's just the
> way it is, I guess.

The way Emacs thinks is that you can select a region, then act on it as a
rectangle or region based on the keystroke.  The prevailling "rectangle"
concept in more recent "visual" editors is that you decide before start a
region, whether it's a rectangle region or a normal region, then use the same
keys to act on either.  I prefer the latter only because I can't remember all
the <C-x> r commands.

> I think there is a way to get some of the cua-like behavior without
> also using the cua keybindings.  In this mode, cua might give you the
> new C-w and M-w behavior.  But I'm not sure if this is really true.  I
> never looked at cua-mode.  Anyone?

I think cua-mode is undergoing some pretty drastic changes for the next Emacs
release ... it appears that the normal Emacs region commands will work
seamlessly with cua-mode rectangles with these modifications ... Check out
CVS Emacs if you're impatient.

--
Le