Re: non nil?

From: Lute Kamstra
Subject: Re: non nil?
Date: 08 Sep 2002 22:52:12 +0200

Raimund.Kohl@freenet.de writes:

> I think I do have a silly question here - but since I am not a techguy I
> don't hesitate to ask anyway :-))
>
> I am about to customize my diary and came across a part of the
> documentarey:
>
>    "If the variable `cal-tex-diary' is non-`nil' (the default is `nil'),
>     diary entries are included also (in weekly and monthly calendars
>     only)."
>
> If I want to have the diary entries printed with the latex-calender I am
> to declare
>
> (setq cal-tex-diary t)
>
> in the .emacs file?

I'm not familiar with the diary, but if I understand you correctly,
you would like to know if t is non-nil.  Yes, it is.  In (Emacs) Lisp,
variables can hold a lot different object.  One of those objects, nil,
is considered special.  All other values are said to be non-nil.  If
you would like a variable to be anything but nil, you usually set it
to t, but any other value like the number 5, or the symbol 'blackbird
would do as well.  Incidentally, nil is exactly the same as the empty
list '().

Lute.

--
(spook) => "beanpole Roswell hackers"
(insert-file-contents "~/.signature") => (error "`~/.signature' too rude")