Re: Journal package for Emacs?

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: Journal package for Emacs?
Date: 09 Sep 2002 10:49:53 -0400

>>>>> "David" == David Forrest <drf5n@mug.sys.virginia.edu> writes:
> Is this good elisp?

Hmm... I'm sorry to say I've seen better:

> (defun my-journal-hook ()
>   "Go to the bottom and insert a timestamp on journal files
> Identified with the is-journal local variable thus:
>              -*- is-journal : t -*- "

The first line of a docstring should stand on its own (i.e. end with
a period, basically) so that it makes sense when displayed by M-x apropos.

>   (if (local-variable-p 'is-journal)

What for exactly ?  `local-variable-p' should basically never be used,
except for very unusual circumstances.

>     (progn (end-of-buffer) ( insert-current-time))

(if a (progn b c)) can be advantageously replaced with (when a b c).

>   ))

This is a clear mark of bad Lisp.

> ;where insert-current-time is:

If you indent this, it'll jump to column 40.  Use `;;' instead.

        Stefan