Re: diary entry to count

From: Edward M. Reingold
Subject: Re: diary entry to count
Date: 09 Sep 2002 12:42:20 -0500

    RK> Hi, I am looking for a way to tell the calender programm to remind me
    RK> of starting a certain discourse no every 1st of each month for a
    RK> period of the next 12 months. Somehow I don't have a clue how to do
    RK> that. Inserting i-d on the calender would be easy but then I don't
    RK> know how to let emacs count (say 1st of Sept No 1, 1st of Nov No 3
    RK> ... etc) or to stop after 12 month (that is to not repeat on the 1st
    RK> of the 13th month); inserting cyclic would be easy to count but then
    RK> the cyclic argument is a number of days which vary between 30 and 31
    RK> (not to mention Feb). Can anybody help?  Thank you.

To get a diary entry on the first of every month, you can use

     * 1 Blah blah

(assuming the American style date; if you have european-calendar-style set to
t, you would use 1 * Blah blah).

If you want such entries only, say from Sept 1, 2002 until Aug 1, 2003, you
would use a diary sexp such as

%%(and (= (extract-calendar-day date) 1)
       (<= (calendar-absolute-from-gregorian date)
           (calendar-absolute-from-gregorian '(8 1 2003)))
       (>= (calendar-absolute-from-gregorian date)
           (calendar-absolute-from-gregorian '(9 1 2002)))) Blah blah

--

Professor Edward M. Reingold                Email: reingold@iit.edu
Chairman, Department of Computer Science    Voice: (312) 567-3309