Re: Inserting date, Disabling the Yes/No question

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Inserting date, Disabling the Yes/No question
Date: Tue, 10 Sep 2002 15:14:43 +0200

Jesse Mathias Marder <yarblocks@yahoo.com> writes:

> Hello,
>
> Is there a built in function or a package to gnu emacs 21.2 that
> inserts the current date in the document, undepedent of the current
> major mode?

Yes. There is time-stamp.el, which ships with Emacs 21

,----

`----

> And besides that, I'd like to disable the yes/no question when killing
> a modified buffer,m or at least chatnge t it no y/n. How can I do
> this?
[...]

Thomas Burdick once posted a nice macro to change `yes-or-no-p' to
`y-or-n-p' function-wise:

(require 'cl)

(defmacro make-shorter-response (&rest names)
  `(progn
     ,@(mapcar (lambda (name)
                 `(defadvice ,name (around shorter-response)
                    (flet ((yes-or-no-p (prompt) (y-or-n-p prompt)))
                      ad-do-it)))
               names)
     ,@(mapcar (lambda (name) `(ad-activate (quote ,name)))
               names)))