Re: Two questions

From: Jeff Mincy
Subject: Re: Two questions
Date: 11 Sep 2002 20:57:34 -0400

On Wed, 11 Sep 2002, frank@consol.de wrote:

> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 09:42:06 +0200, Peter Weiss, wrote:
>
>  >> my attempts to customize them. But I didn't find the code which
>  >> recognizes the commands and sets the colors; is this hard-coded?
>  >
>  >Nope, like allways in Emacs: You can modify nearly everything to fit your
>  >needs. Check the info docs for "font-lock".  Font-lock-mode is activated
>  >for example globally with
>  >
>  >    (global-font-lock-mode 1)
>
> Ok, "font-lock-mode" seems to be a good trace. If I enable this mode, my
> Perl program gets fontified. But I still don't understand why and how. The
> word "perl" doesn't appear in font-lock.el.

You got it backwards...  Look for font-lock in perl-mode.el or
cperl-mode.el depending on which one you are really using.

> So where exactly is the keyword-color mapping defined? Why is this not
> coupled to perl-mode.el?

Perhaps you are looking for the faces that are being used:

(defvar cperl-tips-faces 'please-ignore-this-line
  "CPerl mode uses following faces for highlighting:

  `cperl-array-face'            Array names
  `cperl-hash-face'             Hash names
  `font-lock-comment-face'      Comments, PODs and whatever is considered ...
  `font-lock-constant-face'     HERE-doc delimiters, labels, delimiters of...
  `font-lock-function-name-face' Special-cased m// and s//foo/, _ as

I'm guessing you are wanting to customize the colors of the various
faces...

-jeff