Re: Inconsistant Delete Key

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Inconsistant Delete Key
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2002 23:47:46 +0200

"CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:

> "Kai Großjohann" <Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE> wrote in message
> vafu1kv8d6n.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de">news:vafu1kv8d6n.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de...
>> "CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:
>>
>> > Here is the describe key output from my to edit sessions:
>> >
>> > ---------------------------------------------
>> > GOOD:
>> > DEL runs the command delete-char
>> > --------------------------------------------------------
>> > BAD:
>> > DEL runs the command backward-delete-char-untabify
>>
>> I think that you have a statement that binds DEL to delete-char in
>> your ~/.emacs file.  Don't do that.
>
> I have [delete] bound to delete-char. I don't have any references to DEL.

That's okay, then.  (You don't have reference to ^? or C-? either,
right?  Okay, okay, just a check.)

>> You should arrange that Emacs sees <delete> when you hit the delete
>> key and DEL when you hit the backspace key.  DEL is ascii 127.
>
> I _believe_ that my "delete" key sends 127 and my "backspace" key send ^H.

Whee.  So what might be wrong?  Does it help to frob
normal-erase-is-backspace (from customize only, use function
normal-erase-is-backspace-mode from Lisp)?

And then, you can still do

(define-key emacs-lisp-mode-map (kbd "<delete>") 'delete-char)

I wonder if that does anything useful.  (It takes effect only for
*.el files.)

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)