Re: After cvs, emacs does not encode file correctly as dos

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: After cvs, emacs does not encode file correctly as dos
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2002 15:54:48 +0200

Mark Mynsted <mmynsted_news@gbronline.com> writes:

>  Kai> Mark Mynsted <mmynsted_news@gbronline.com> writes:
>  >> I have a file called notes.txt.  It has DOS style line endings etc.
>  >> It is stored under linux.  When I view it from Emacs all was well,
>  >> i.e. Emacs correctly identified it as a DOS file and used the dos
>  >> encoding when visiting the file.  (I need the file to have the dos
>  >> line endings, etc.)  I next started to manage the file using CVS.  Now
>  >> the only way I can get Emacs to visit the file and display the line
>  >> endings, etc, correctly is to:
>  >>
>  >> C-x <RET>c dos<RET>C-x C-f ~/doc/notes.txt
>
>  Kai> What happens when you visit it normally, without C-x RET c?
>
> The file is filled with ^M characters.

I think you mean that C-x RET c first will give you a file which
looks normally.  Omitting the C-x RET c will give you a file which
contains ^M at the end of the lines.

I think that's because most lines end with ^M but not all of them
do.  Can you look carefully whether really all lines end with ^M?

Emacs does not assume DOS line endings unless all of them are DOS
line endings.

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)