Re: how to avoid filling KILL RING with junk

From: Barry Margolin
Subject: Re: how to avoid filling KILL RING with junk
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 22:19:42 GMT

In article <slrnaohrn5.les.ignoramus6776@nospam.invalid>,
Igor6776 <ignoramus6776@NOSPAM.6776.invalid> wrote:
>When I delete words and regions in my xemacs 21.4, it puts theninto the
>kill ring.

Most users consider this a good thing.  It makes it easy to get things back
that you delete, although I suppose the advent of unlimited undo's has made
this less important than it was in the old days.

>I would like to NOT do that and only add stuff to the kill ring that I
>select with
>\C-w or M-w.
>

>how can I do it.

I don't think there's a built-in option for this.  You could advise all the
commands that you don't want to save, with something like

(defconst disable-kill-ring-advice
  (ad-make-advice 'disable-kill-ring nil t
                  '(advice lambda ()
                           (let ((kill-ring nil))
                             ad-do-it))))

(defun disable-kill-ring (function)
  (ad-add-advice function disable-kill-ring-advice 'around 'first))

(mapc 'disable-kill-ring '(kill-word backward-kill-word kill-line ...))

--
Barry Margolin, barmar@genuity.net
Genuity, Woburn, MA