(setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/lisp") load-path))

From: Grimnir
Subject: (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/lisp") load-path))
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 19:35:00 -0400

I'm trying to install session.el on my SuSE Linux system. I downloaded it
from: http://emacs-session.sourceforge.net/

The INSTALL file says:

    "The cases:
      (b) You use Emacs and install Session in your home directory:
          create directory "~/.emacs.d/lisp/" and copy "lisp/session.el"
          to it.  Add the following lines at the beginning of your Emacs
          init file:

             (setq load-path
                   (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/lisp") load-path))"

I added that to my .gnu-emacs but it doesn't seem to modify the load-path
variable.  I really don't want to start playing around with the load path
in the compile if I can aviod it, and I don't want to resort to having the
same *.el in multiple place, nor symlinking them.  The above Lisp statement
looks like a very attractive solution. Unfortunately, it doesn't seem to
work.

Can someone clarify what behavior I should expect from that statement?  Does
it work for you?

-- STH