Re: quoting with gnus

From: Klaus Berndl
Subject: Re: quoting with gnus
Date: 19 Sep 2002 10:03:09 +0200

On 19 Sep 2002, Norbert Rump wrote:

>  Hi folks,
>
>  after 10+ years in usenet I recently got complaints about my quoting
>  mechanism. I usually quote with two initials and the usual ">"
>  sign. The two initials seem to be quite unpopular, so I want to get
>  rid of them.
>
>  My question: how can I do this? When writing a follow-up, I use C-x
>  C-y to quote the article. Then I get a prompt "Complete attribution
>  name: <user name>". An empty user name will not be accepted. I guess
>  there has to be some other way just to get the ">"-sign as quotation
>  mark.

My recommendation: If you want quote correct and if you want not to bother how
to this and if you want have this all automatically after pressing F in Gnus
then use tc.el (Trivial cite). Despite of it's name it is really not trivial
but it does an outstanding job; the "trivial" means it does only the necessry
citing job and it does this constistent with the standards and nothing more.
Note so many features like supercite for example but the really citing job is
done much better.

Try it in combination with filladapt.el and your citing problems are gone.

You can get it from http://shasta.cs.uiuc.edu/~lrclause/tc.html

Ciao,
Klaus

--