Re: (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/lisp") load-path

From: Grimnir
Subject: Re: (setq load-path (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/lisp") load-path))
Date: Thu, 19 Sep 2002 18:12:15 -0400

Reiner Steib wrote:

> On Thu, Sep 19 2002, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
>
>> Reiner Steib wrote:

>>> ".gnu-emacs"? I've seen this on SuSE Linux systems, but Emacs usually
>>> is looking for "~/.emacs". Are you sure, that ".gnu-emacs" is used?
>>
>> `C-h v user-init-file RET'
>
> It's clear, that there are billions of possibilities to load a file
> named ".gnu-emacs". ;-) But the OP mentioned that `load-path' wasn't
> modified, so it's suggesting to assume that the file was not loaded,
> as the lisp code is correct.
>
> FYI: What SuSE does (or at least did) is...
>
> ,----[ /etc/skel/.emacs ]
> | (if (string-match "XEmacs\\|Lucid" emacs-version)
> |     (progn
> |       XEmacs-stuff-here)
> |   (progn
> |     (if (file-readable-p "~/.gnu-emacs")
> | (load "~/.gnu-emacs" nil t)
> |       Emacs-stuff-here)))
> `----
>
> (no, I wouldn't recommend this)
>
> Bye, Reiner.

This is exactly what happened on my box.  I'm not sure why some things
weren't working with the .gnu-emacs file, but removing it from the mix
seems to have fixed a few problems.

The .gnu-emacs is not the end of the saga.The also do:

,----[ /etc/skel/.emacs ]
|  ;; Custum Settings
|  ;; ===============
|  ;; To avoid any trouble with the customization system of GNU emacs
|  ;; we set the default file ~/.gnu-emacs-custom
|  (setq custom-file "~/.gnu-emacs-custom")
|  (load "~/.gnu-emacs-custom" t t)
|;;;
|)
|;;;
`----

I have yet to test the
(setq load-path
     (cons (expand-file-name "~/.emacs.d/lisp") load-path))"
with a clean .emacs.

I guess anybody who wants to have anything beyond the default setup in Emacs
he will have to learn a certain amount of Lisp, whether he wants to or not.

-- STH