CVS configure problems

From: Klaus Zeitler
Subject: CVS configure problems
Date: 23 Sep 2002 17:42:42 +0200

Hi,

RMS asked me to test a patch that I've sent in the 21 RC branch.
Therefore I tried a CVS update with
cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anoncvs@subversions.gnu.org:/cvsroot/emacs co -r
EMACS_21_1_RC emacs
I hope this is the right label and command.
I have the source in /vol/freeware/source/emacs-pre/emacs
and try to build in /vol/freeware/SunOS-5.8/build/emacs-pre
with /vol/freeware/source/emacs-pre/emacs/configure

Unfortunately configure fails (leaving an empty configure file in the source
directory). Seems to be an autoconf problem, but I don't know anything
about autoconf. Here's an excerpt form the configure output:

Configured for `sparc-sun-solaris2.8'.

  Where should the build process find the source code?
/vol/freeware/source/emacs-pre/emacs
  What operating system and machine description files should Emacs use?
        `s/sol2-5.h' and `m/sparc.h'
  What compiler should emacs be built with?               gcc  -g -O2
  Should Emacs use the GNU version of malloc?             yes
  Should Emacs use a relocating allocator for buffers?    yes
  Should Emacs use mmap(2) for buffer allocation?         no
  What window system should Emacs use?                    x11
  What toolkit should Emacs use?                          LUCID
  Where do we find X Windows header files?                /usr/openwin/include
  Where do we find X Windows libraries?                   /usr/openwin/lib
  Does Emacs use -lXaw3d?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lXpm?                                   no
  Does Emacs use -ljpeg?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -ltiff?                                  no
  Does Emacs use -lungif?                                 no
  Does Emacs use -lpng?                                   no
  Does Emacs use X toolkit scroll bars?                   no

creating ./config.status
creating Makefile
creating lib-src/Makefile.c
creating oldXMenu/Makefile
creating man/Makefile
creating lwlib/Makefile
creating src/Makefile.c
creating lisp/Makefile
creating leim/Makefile
creating src/config.h
src/config.h is unchanged
creating src/epaths.h
cd /vol/freeware/source/emacs-pre/emacs && autoconf
./aclocal.m4:30: error: m4_defn: undefined macro: _m4_divert_diversion
aclang.m4:1479: AC_PROG_CC_STDC is expanded from...
./aclocal.m4:30: the top level
make: *** [/vol/freeware/source/emacs-pre/emacs/configure] Error 1
creating lib-src/Makefile
creating src/Makefile

Thanks

Klaus

|  Klaus Zeitler      Lucent Technologies  |
|  Email:             kzeitler@lucent.com  |
---
The problem with any unwritten law is that you don't
know where to go to erase it.      -- Glaser and Way