Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Peter J. Acklam
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 15:59:54 GMT

grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote:

> Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:
>
> > SPECIFICS of the problem1: when asked to show cyrillic, it
> > shows cyrillic indeed.  However, the shown glyphs have no
> > relationship to the actual Cyrillic text (e.g., in the Hello,
> > World example).  Do not have a slightest idea how to report it
> > in more details...
>
> IIRC, there are two popular encodings for Cyrillic, and maybe
> Emacs thinks it's using a font in the foo encoding but the real
> font is in the bar encoding?
>
> Put point on a Cyrillic character and type C-u C-x =, this tells
> you stuff, including the charset that Emacs thinks this
> character is in.

Perhaps you also know how I can make Emacs open a UTF-8-encoded
file correctly?  In my ~/.emacs I now enabled UTF-8 in every way I
can think of

   (set-buffer-file-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
   (set-clipboard-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
   (set-keyboard-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
   (set-next-selection-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
   (set-selection-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
   (set-terminal-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
   (set-w32-system-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)
   (prefer-coding-system 'utf-8-unix)

and I have enabled multibyte characters, but still Emacs always
opens a UTF-8 file as "unibyte no-conversion".  Using

   C-x RET c utf-8 RET C-x C-f

to open a file is rather awkward.

Peter

--
No electrons used in the production of this message were harmed or
mistreated in any manner.