Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 15:45:33 +0900 (JST)

Eli wrote:

> FWIW, my stock Emacs 21.2 recognizes non-Western encodings right out of
> the box.

Are you saying that if you open up a document in your build of 21.2 that
contains, for instance, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Latin characters, all
the fonts display correctly without needing any tweaking at all? If so, this is
the first case I have heard
among many of my colleagues who are using Emacs.

> I'm not saying that you were dreaming, just that those problems are not
> trivial to reproduce, so a full-blown bug report is in order.

I don't see it as a bug. I see it more as a level of technical capability
that Emacs has not yet reached to, but no doubt will some day.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787