Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Miles Bader
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: 25 Sep 2002 17:23:41 +0900

Charles Muller <acmuller@gol.com> writes:
> Are you saying that if you open up a document in your build of 21.2
> that contains, for instance, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Latin
> characters, all the fonts display correctly without needing any
> tweaking at all?

That's such a vague question that it's hard to answer -- certainly I've
never had any particular problems with the above (though the only time
I've ever seen _all_ of them in a single file, is in the `HELLO' file
that comes with emacs).

But for my standard daily usage, everything seems to work fine, with no
font tweaking or whatever.  Sometimes I get spam email that emacs fails
to decode correctly, though.

[I do (set-language-environment "Japanese"), which may affect this]

> > I'm not saying that you were dreaming, just that those problems are not
> > trivial to reproduce, so a full-blown bug report is in order.
>
> I don't see it as a bug. I see it more as a level of technical capability
> that Emacs has not yet reached to, but no doubt will some day.

Your original message alluded to problems recognizing certain
encodings; that should be easy to report as a bug -- send a document
which emacs fails to recognize, which it probably should.

-Miles
--
`...the Soviet Union was sliding in to an economic collapse so comprehensive
 that in the end its factories produced not goods but bads: finished products