Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Wed, 25 Sep 2002 16:11:22 +0200

Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:

> <grossjoh@ls6.informatik.uni-dortmund.de>], who wrote in article
> <vaf65wv3hjr.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>:
>> Ilya Zakharevich <nospam-abuse@ilyaz.org> writes:
>>
> , and maybe Emacs
>> thinks it's using a font in the foo encoding but the real font is in
>> the bar encoding?
>
> Of course it does, what else could it be!  But how would I detect it
> and/or fix it?

With C-u C-x =, as I said.

>> Put point on a Cyrillic character and type C-u C-x =, this tells you
>> stuff, including the charset that Emacs thinks this character is in.
>
> Hmm?  You mean that doing "Hello world" demo, one gets different
> results of your test on different machines?  Now I'm completely
> confused...

Different people might use different fonts on different machines.  In
that sense, the results could be different.  I don't know anything
about Cyrillic, so let me give a Latin example.  Character number 164
is the Euro sign in Latin-9 and the Currency sign in Latin-1.

If I now set the X11 resource Emacs.font to a Latin-9 font, then
Emacs will display Latin-1 characters with that font!  This means, if
the HELLO file includes that currency sign, I would wrongly see a euro
sign, but C-u C-x = would tell me that Emacs thinks it is displaying
a Latin-1 character.

This is a misconfiguration of Emacs, and can be corrected.

Maybe you have a similar misconfiguration of Emacs.

(It is also arguably a bug since Emacs should know from the font name
that it is not a Latin-1 font.  But not all fonts specify
"iso8859-15" in their names, so it is difficult to know.)

kai
--
~/.signature is: umop 3p!sdn    (Frank Nobis)