Programming Syntax Mode

From: Brian Wilson
Subject: Programming Syntax Mode
Date: 25 Sep 2002 07:37:14 -0700

Dear All,

Apologies for cross-posting firstly....

Do forgive me if this is a simple question, but I have just started
using emacs and Linux, two things I am completely new to!

I am using emacs at college to program in C and C++ and note that
there is syntax highlighting to allow me to see reserved words, etc.
Is there a way I can start emacs from the shell with some kind of
arguments so that I can not only have highlighting on by default, but
so that I can decide which language to do it in? Something like 'emacs
--lang=cpp --highlighting --color' ?

Any help would be most appreciated.

Brian Wilson