Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting

From: Stefan Monnier <address@hidden>
Subject: Re: How to make emacs auto-recognize utf-8 encoded files upon visiting
Date: 25 Sep 2002 10:55:55 -0400

> Are you saying that if you open up a document in your build of 21.2 that
> contains, for instance, Japanese, Chinese, Korean, and Latin characters,
> all the fonts display correctly without needing any tweaking at all?

Please keep in mind that UTF-8 is not the only encoding in the world.
I had to read the rest of the thread to understand that you meant
"a UTF-8 file with the above chars".
Indeed the stock Emacs distribution doesn't yet handle UTF-8 encoded
asian chars quite right.  IIUC the development code is getting closer,
but isn't quite there yet.
To get what you want you currently need to use Mule-UCS (which I gather
is one of the things that are included in TEI-Emacs).

        Stefan