Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 03:51:50 +0000 (UTC)

Kai
 =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=
<Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE>], who wrote in article
<vafznu6yx9x.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>:
> > Of course it does, what else could it be!  But how would I detect it
> > and/or fix it?
>
> With C-u C-x =, as I said.

Would it show the font and the codepoint chosen in the font?  [I'm not
on X, so cannot check myself]

> >> Put point on a Cyrillic character and type C-u C-x =, this tells you
> >> stuff, including the charset that Emacs thinks this character is in.
> >
> > Hmm?  You mean that doing "Hello world" demo, one gets different
> > results of your test on different machines?  Now I'm completely
> > confused...

> If I now set the X11 resource Emacs.font to a Latin-9 font, then
> Emacs will display Latin-1 characters with that font!  This means, if
> the HELLO file includes that currency sign, I would wrongly see a euro
> sign, but C-u C-x = would tell me that Emacs thinks it is displaying
> a Latin-1 character.

What you say is: the "hello world" example will have the same result
of C-u C-x = on all the machines.  So I do not see how it would help me...

> This is a misconfiguration of Emacs, and can be corrected.
>
> Maybe you have a similar misconfiguration of Emacs.
>
> (It is also arguably a bug since Emacs should know from the font name
> that it is not a Latin-1 font.  But not all fonts specify
> "iso8859-15" in their names, so it is difficult to know.)

You are discussing a default font; which is not under the control of
Emacs.  I'm discussing Cyrillic font, which is not under *my* control
(as far as I know now).

Thanks,
Ilya