Re: Removing word wrap arrows

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Removing word wrap arrows
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 18:13:35 +0200

Victor Kirk <vkirk@technology.serco.com> writes:

> Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE Replied
>
>>> Is there any to turn these and the border off as I find them
>>> distracting and would like to gain a bit of extra space for text.
>
>> These are called fringes.  In a future version of Emacs (not 21.2,
>> not 21.3) you will be able to turn them off.
>
> Ahh, I tried apropos with every possibility I could think of, now
> I know what they are called I think a little better of them.

The enemy you know...

You could have found out about it by reading the NEWS file (Emacs
News from Help menu).  It's a useful document to read.

>> In the meantime, maybe it helps a little bit to change the background
>> color of the fringes to match the main window...
>
> I've just tried this and it's fine until I have windows side by side,
> then it gets confusing as there is no visual seperator between windows.
> I guess I'd like to be able to specify a width of the fringe, maybe allow
> different widths for left and right.

In 21.4, you will be able to do that.

> Is it possible to write to the fringes, say be able to put a 'x' next
> to a bit of a malformed file?

Not currently, no.  The fringe width thing has been implemented
already, but this feature has not been implemented yet.

kai