Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?

From: Ilya Zakharevich
Subject: Re: MULE shows gibberish; now what?
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:13:40 +0000 (UTC)

Kai
 =?iso-8859-15?q?Gro=DFjohann?=
<Kai.Grossjohann@CS.Uni-Dortmund.DE>], who wrote in article
<vaf1y7huplb.fsf@lucy.cs.uni-dortmund.de>:
> /----
> |   character: ¤ (07444, 3876, 0xf24)
> |     charset: latin-iso8859-15
> |              (Right-Hand Part of Latin Alphabet 9 (ISO/IEC 8859-15):
> ISO-IR-203.)
> |  code point: 36
> |      syntax: w      which means: word
> |    category: l:Latin
> | buffer code: 0x8E 0xA4
> |   file code: 0x8E 0xA4 (encoded by coding system emacs-mule)
> |     Unicode: 20AC
> |        font: -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--14-130-75-75-C-70-ISO8859-15

So it does not show which codepoint inside the font is chosen!

> | There are text properties here:
> |   fontified            t
> \----
>
> In the above output, it is easy to see if the glyph matches what it
> should be.  I can do "man iso-8859-15" to look up what character has
> code 128+36, and then I can compare it with the glyph.  And if the
> "man" command told me to expect a Euro sign, but I'm seeing a
> currency sign, then I know that something is wrong.

As I said, I *know* that the output is wrong.  So how would what you
say help me to debug/fix the problem.

> As you can easily see, the font name can be different.  And the glyph
> (directly after "character: ") is of course also different.

Is it the same glyph as in the buffer?  So what is the point of
looking at *that*?  ;-)

> You can tell Emacs to use the foo font for the bar encoding.

How?  And how do I tell Emacs in which encoding this font actually is?

>  Maybe
> you have (accidentally) told Emacs to use a KOI-R font for the
> iso-8859-5 encoding, or something like this.

With -no-init-file?  I doubt it.  ;-)

> If all else fails, you can of course also install fonts in your home
> dir and tell X11 about them, and then tell Emacs to use one of those...

I have seen machines where X server can't see user directories.

Ilya